VLC library causing deployment from VS Windows to iOS device to fail
When trying to deploy and debug a Xamarin Forms app for iOS from a Windows PC to an iOS device or the iOS simulator, adding the VLC libraries to the project causes the deployment to fail.
Minimal project and steps to reproduce
- Create a minimal Xamarin Forms application in Visual Studio for Windows using the standard new project template.
- Build project on remote Mac and deploy to device or simulator, app deploys correctly.
- Add LibVLCSharp.Forms and VdeoLAN.LibVLC,iOS packages to project.
- Build project, builds ok, however, deployment to device or simulator now fails with DynamicMobileVLCKit.framework error.
What is the current bug behavior?
Attempted deployment produces the following error in VS on the Windows PC:
error MT1006: Could not install the application '/Users/~~~/Library/Caches/Xamarin/mtbs/builds/App1.iOS/5e7b67c7c7f56852611bc457c44fcae7ad08fd0e417f0091a1a/bin/iPhone/Debug/device-builds/ipad8.1-14.6/App1.iOS.app' on the device 'dev???s iPad': Package Inspection Failed Error (error: 0xe8000051).
With output warning:
PackageInspectionFailed: Failed to load Info.plist from bundle at path /var/installd/Library/Caches/com.apple.mobile.installd.staging/temp.St7BWw/extracted/App6.iOS.app/Frameworks/DynamicMobileVLCKit.framework; Extra info about "/var/installd/Library/Caches/com.apple.mobile.installd.staging/temp.St7BWw/extracted/App6.iOS.app/Frameworks/DynamicMobileVLCKit.framework/Info.plist": Couldn't stat /var/installd/Library/Caches/com.apple.mobile.installd.staging/temp.St7BWw/extracted/App6.iOS.app/Frameworks/DynamicMobileVLCKit.framework/Info.plist: No such file or directory
What is the expected correct behavior?
Should deploy to device or simulator for debugging without issue.
Does it work on other plaforms? Does it work with the official VLC apps?
No, observe the same problem trying to deploy the VLCSharp RTSP Mosaic sample.
Relevant logs and/or screenshots
- OS: Windows 10, macOS
- Version 21H1, 11.4
- Device: Any device in iOS simulator
- LibVLC version and architecture: VideoLAN.LibVLC.iOS 3.3.10
- LibVLCSharp version 3.5.0
- VS Win 16.10, VS Mac 8.9.10
Baffled. Will deploy ok if I build and deploy on the Mac itself using a VS Mac project, but breaks when trying to deploy a VS Win project to a remotely connected Mac. Tried on two different PC's and tried rolling back nuget versions, but issue still persists.