This is the temporary home for the AirPlay protocol documentation. It will (presumably) eventually make its way into the main project soon
AirTunes v1 / RAOP (2004)
First generation of apples remote streaming protocol. Introduced on the Airport Express as a way to play music remotely from iTunes.
Second generation. This next iteration introduced an improved version of AirTunes (v2) and added a second protocol stack called AirPlay that added support for video, photos, and screen sharing. Note that AirPlay is both the name for the video streaming protocol and the name that Apple markets the the AirTunes/AirPlay combination as.
AirPlay 2 (2018)
Added support for chaining speakers to that the sender doesn't have to broadcast to each individual device. Not much else is known.
- AirTunes v2 documentation (audio)
- AirPlay v1 documentation (video)
- implement AirTunes v2 audio streaming
- implement AirPlay v1 image / video streaming
- (if there is time) implement an airplay bonjour receiver service
The information was compiled from various sources: